Posted: November 1, 2021
Self-Employment Business Counsellor – Contract Position
Online and in-person delivery of WorkBC Self-Employment (SE) Program for clients in the Greater Trail region and potentially Creston if interested. Duties include assessing client suitability for SE, delivering workshops, and coaching/mentoring clients through the process of developing and implementing their business plan. This is a flexible, part-time position (potentially full-time with Creston) – working 20 to 37.5 per week, depending on client volume. During Covid-19, SE client services are delivered primarily online, via video conference.
• Deliver Self-Employment Program orientation and assessment workshops to potential clients that have been referred to the program by WorkBC;
• Review client’s self-assessment and determine whether they’re suitable to move forward to the Business Concept application. If approved for Business Concept provide guidance, support and feedback to applicants;
• Review Business Concept application and provide written recommendation to SE Committee;
• Have clients sign contracts prior to entering the Business Plan Development Stage and ensure they understand their contractual obligations;
• Provide individual support (one-on-one coaching) to clients in developing and implementing their business plans;
• Provide written Executive Summary with recommendation to SE Committee;
• Conduct mandatory monitors as per WorkBC contract;
• Maintain client records in WorkBC database;
• Liaise with WorkBC case managers;
• Provide Community Futures Greater Trail business coaching and outreach services as required (general public workshops, community business counselling)
• Assist in special projects as required.
Reports to: Executive Director – Community Futures Greater Trail
Works with: Community Futures Greater Trail and potentially Community Futures Central Kootenay (Nelson) team members
External Relationships: WorkBC contractors, Ministries related to WorkBC and local economic development organizations.
• Minimum of three years proven direct business experience, with a broad knowledge of business management practices, including standard business financial practices, regulations, bookkeeping, understanding of financial statements, business banking, knowledge of marketing and sales strategies, financing methods, business planning, etc.;
• Experience working with a variety of business models;
• Ownership or management experience in small business;
• Client management experience, including one-on-one counselling;
• Knowledge of basic business requirements for operating in the municipalities and regional district served;
• Working knowledge of basic business software – spreadsheets, email, Google docs, Zoom Video Conference;
• Understanding of market research and marketing principles. Understanding or proficiency with web and social media platforms for business use (Facebook, Instagram, Shopify, WordPress).
• Post-secondary education in business management, administration or counselling is an asset.
• Must have clean criminal record check for working with marginalized populations;
• Must have a valid driver’s license with appropriate insurance for vehicle
• Ability to work flexible hours and occasional travel.
• The successful candidate will have the option to work remotely from home or be based at the Community Futures Greater Trail office in Trail.
Applications will be accepted until 12:00 Noon Monday, November 15th, 2021.
Please, submit a cover letter & resume (electronic) to Erik Kalacis firstname.lastname@example.org and include ‘SE Counsellor Application’ in the subject line.
We thank all those who apply. Only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.